Moving to Xero? Find out how to make the switch
Congratulations on making the smart choice to move your accounting processes over to Xero.
You won’t regret it.
But before you can start enjoying all the benefits of using Xero, you need to move all your accounting history and information onto the system. This can seem a bit daunting, but don’t worry, Cloudworx is here to help.
What is Xero Accounting Software?
Before we get into how you can make the move, let’s do a quick recap on Xero and all the benefits you can look forward to. Xero is an online, cloud-based accounting software that was specifically developed for small to medium businesses so that they can automate their admin and accounting processes, and work from anywhere at any time. Many companies have vouched that Xero is the best accounting software for small businesses in South Africa.
If you have a small to medium business, you need to focus on your business activities in order to bring in revenue. Admin functions such as accounting can become very time-consuming. Using Xero will free up a lot of time that has been dedicated towards admin tasks.
Benefits of Xero
1. Xero allows you to keep everything in one place. You will be able to store all your documents online for quick and easy access. You will be able to take advantage of capturing bills and receipts via email and even scan files from your mobile devices.
2. With Xero’s accounting software, you’ll also be able to connect to your bank for automatic bank feeds, which will allow for an easy sync on all your business’s financial information, view your statements in real-time and keep an eye on any money coming in and out of your business.
3. You’ll be able to customise apps and features within Xero’s software to suit your business needs and make it easy for you to use. Xero also offers a number of flexible features and plans that you are able to choose from, in order to make it easy to use and affordable for your business.
So, how do you convert from your current software to Xero?
Option 1: Converting to Xero if your accounting history is available.
At Cloudworx, our team will be able to take your existing accounting information from other programmes such as Sage or Quickbooks and convert it into a Xero file.
The process will look something like this:
● Your current accounting information needs to be accurate and usable. Although the information may not be perfect, it will just need to be usable and applicable to Xero.
● Once all the information is at hand, the transfer from your previous accounting software to Xero’s platform will take about 48 hours in order for all your business’s information to reflect correctly. As soon as this has been completed, you’ll be ready
● You may be wondering when the transfer needs to be done. In order to ensure a solid cut-off point and smooth handover, it is advised to make the transfer at the end of the month. Your Sage or Quickbooks will need to be up to date as soon as possible after the end of the month.
Option 2: If your account information is not up to date
If your accounting is not up to date, our team at Cloudworx can use your current accounting balances as a starting point and move on from there. There are both advantages and disadvantages in using this option. The advantage of using your current accounting balances, means that you can start using Xero’s accounting software immediately, as the process is very quick and easy. The disadvantage of this option is that you won’t be able to bring over your detailed history and will only be able to view the balances from the day before you start using Xero’s accounting software. However, even though your accounting is not up to date, you’ll be able to catch up with your history at a later stage and not slow down and get further behind than where you currently are.
Benefit from Xero training when working with Cloudworx
Once you’ve made the switch to Xero, the Cloudworx team will provide you with further training on the system so that your business can get the most out of it.
The training that will be provided, will include:
● How to prepare and send out invoices.
● How to handle your debtors and creditors
● How to understand your accounting reports
● How to deal with any challenging accounting scenarios that may arise when using the software.
With the help of experienced accounting professionals like Cloudworx, your move over to Xero doesn’t have to be complicated. We can ensure the process is as seamless as possible and guide you in getting the most out of your new accounting software.
Book a call with a Cloudworx accountant to help you move to Xero today.